Monday, January 12, 2009

Why Why Why!

Three out of my four siblings sleep walk or talk in their sleep or some freaky combo of the two. Jeff will mutter something in his sleep on occasion but its not extreme in any way and in no way noteworthy. I do not do either and I thought when my older siblings moved out and I left home that was all behind me. Boy was I wrong.
Both of my older kids have what I can only describe as night terrors. Its this blood curdling screaming for mommy in the middle of the night and Jackson also walks in his sleep.
For example, I was sitting at the computer the other night (shocker, I know) and I here Jacks down the hall yell for me a couple of times. I think to myself 'He's OK just give him a minute and it will be fine'. Then I here What sounds like he's struggling and trying to rip something apart. So I go in to his room and in true Aunt Becky fashion he's standing at the window trying to rip the curtain out of the wall.
I can handle the screaming I can also handle the walking zombie style around the house in the middle of the night muttering to himself incoherently but I don't think I'm going to deal well with a child that could potentially call the cops in his sleep because of an imaginary intruder. I'm just saying.
Why! I don't want to have him coming in to my room in the early hours of the morning and yelling at me that he's going to be late for school. I never did that. Why! I don't want to bolt his window so he doesn't try climbing out of it while he's sleeping.
So to those of you that have or have had this problem what do you suggest I do? I'll take suggestions from the offenders and offendies alike.

2 comments:

Maddy said...

I used to sleep walk, but it was stressed induced. I have no idea on ideas for kiddos that have a relatively simple life w/both parents that love them. Drew was saying that he had a friend that would sleep walk if he had sugar after a certain time at night? Weird stuff. Let me know if you ever figure anything out! That's scary

Amy said...

Here I am! I'm sorry I don't have advice for dealing with sleep walkers, my kids (Shawn included) just snore. I love your blog and I can't believe that story about the guy in Target that totally swore at you. I hope I would have been able to remain as calm as you. Who knows?