Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Time Warp

My Great Uncle Pete passed away last week so I made the trek out to LaGrande with my parents Sunday for the service Monday and then home right after. Of course I dragged my kids but they were so good for me the whole time or at least that's what I thought. Mom, Dad were they good?

Uncle Pete had served in the military in his younger years so of course he was given a full military funeral. I don't know if its just me but I have always appreciated the poetic nature of a military service with the Veterans and their guns. Its sad but beautiful at the same time. It stirs such strong emotions of patriotism.

I appriciate the opportunity to see my cousins even if it was for such sad circumstances. It made me think that I need to make more of an effort to get out to that part of the state more often. I Love my great Aunt and Uncles that are still living in that little town and I want to see them. I wish I could just move closer or kidnap them for a week or two every so often.
This is my Aunt Emmegean
(Uncle Petes wife and My Granddad's little sister)
She is one of the sweetest ladies you will ever meet.
This is Dodie my Granddad's wife and my uncle Jason's mom.

The trip over wasn't so bad either. We took my car so everyone could fit and my Dad drove. I called Jeff to ask which station on XM was classic country and off we went. Down that same old highway, sitting in the same spot, listening to the same music and looking out at the world as if I had gone back in time and could have. The river and the gorge are timeless that way. I can't help but think that it would even look the same to the pioneers.
Yes the backs of the heads I was looking at in the front seat were a lot more gray than before but it was a lot like time stopped 20 years ago. The only thing that was missing was my sisters and brother all trying to kill each other and or sing along with the stereo. But my kids did their best to fill that void.
I seriously don't know what it is about that drive and that town. But I am never any older than 16 when I'm there And I miss it again already.

1 comment:

Jan said...

Yes, they were very good.